Copy content from one course in Moodle to another in Moodle
Moodle – Backup, Restore, and Import
This page contains instructions on how to transfer information from a previous course to a new one. Previously taught course are available from IITS in accordance with our Moodle Long Term Archive/Retention Policy.
- Moodle courses taught in the previous three years will be available for you to review, backup, and restore into your current courses–although they may not be on the current Moodle server.
- Course materials on Moodle taught four to eight years ago will be available upon request from IITS, but may take up to a week to restore.
- Courses taught more than eight years ago will be deleted and no longer available from IITS. We recommend you keep your own archives of any materials you want to keep, in addition to the materials kept by IITS.
If the course is from a previous term of the same academic year, skip to the instructions below for Importing a Course.
If the course is from a previous academic year, follow the instructions to backup and restore the course. Note: This requires uploading your backup to the new course. As with all uploads in Moodle, there is a file size limit of 250 MB**. If your file size is larger than that, please contact email@example.com.
To backup the original course information
- Select the course you want to archive or copy into your new course site. If the course was taught within the previous three years, you will need to look on the Moodle archive server to find your course. These are accessible from the Moodle archives link at the top your the current Moodle course site.
- Log into the Moodle server for the appropriate academic year and open the course you wish to backup or copy.
- Choose Backup from the Course Administration menu. Depending on the Moodle version and theme of your course, you will either find this by clicking on the gear icon () in the top right corner of your course, or you will find it in the Settings menu below the Navigation block.
- You will be prompted to select what you want to include in the backup or just keep the defaults and click Continue
NOTE: User data and grades will NOT be included in the backup. If you need to keep grade information, you can export grades via the grade book.
- Click Continue. Note: The default file name includes the name of your course and the time and date of the backup.
- Click Perform this backup at the bottom of the page.
- The next page will say “The backup file was successfully created.” Click Continue again.
- You should now see the back-up in your private backup area. (If you do not see a screen similar to the one illustrated below, click on the Restore link in the course administration block.)
Click the link to download and save as desired in your local files.
To restore course information from a backup .mbz file
- In Moodle, select the course to which you want to restore or materials from the archived course.
- Click Restore from the Course Administration menu. Depending on the Moodle version and theme of your course, you will either find this by clicking on the gear icon () in the top right corner of your course, or you will find it in the Settings menu below the Navigation block.
- Upload or select the .mbz backup of the course from which you want to restore material. If your file is larger than 250mb, contact hc-techlearn for help.
- Click Restore. You will see a series of screens, starting with a verification of the items in your backup file. Scroll down and continue.
- Select the restore options you want–usually to merge your content into the current course–and continue.
- You will be prompted with several more screens. Select desired options, and click next until your restore is complete.
To import course information from a previous course in the same academic year
Note: You must have the role of course builder, course support, or teacher in both the original and destination course sites to do this.
- In Moodle, select the course to which you want to add the information.
- Click Import from the Course Administration menu. Depending on the Moodle version and theme of your course, you will either find this by clicking on the gear icon () in the top right corner of your course, or you will find it in the Settings menu below the Navigation block.
- Select the course from which you want to get materials and click Continue.
- You will see several screens asking what you want to backup and then import. Check the desired items and click next.
- Click the import button.
- You should now see the imported materials in the new course.