For many people graduating, the process of looking for a full-time job or applying tor graduate school is already underway. Resumes, curriculum vitae, cover letters, and contacts you’ve made that offer your email address to potential employers or graduate schools should be reliable. Interruption in communication can adversely impact your progress, so it’s best to keep an eye on ensuring continuity of your contact information.
Following these steps to help you stay connected to the community for your own benefit, and for the benefit of other alums.
Remember, you have 90 days after graduation. On or shortly after those 90 days pass our systems are tidied up and accounts belonging to members of the community who have graduated are turned off. Although there are a couple months between commencement and system cleanup, time moves swiftly.
Stay Connected to Haverford
Review and update your contact information through the alumni community. You may also want to subscribe to Haverford College’s Official Career Connections Group on LinkedIn.
Create a Personal EMail Account
There are a number of free email services available to you, including GMail. Having used HaverApps, a transition to a private GMail account is likely to be the easiest. We suggest creating a GMail account using your name as you would present it professionally. Use a commonly recognized format, like “George.Fox@gmail.com” or “email@example.com” if it’s available.
Update Google File Ownership
When you share a file with someone via Google Drive, Docs, Sheets etc., remember that you OWN the file. When you leave the college, the file will no longer be accessible by anyone you shared it with.
To retain access to these files, instruct any of your collaborators to follow these steps:
- Select the document within Google Drive and choose to download it. This will keep a copy on your computer within your specified download location.
- Select the document (double-click to view it), choose “make a copy” from the file menu. This will duplicate the file, and allow you to store it elsewhere.
- As the owner, select the document (double-click to view it), go to Share > advanced sharing settings, and change the ownership entirely. This will allow the designated person within the college to retain the document and share it as necessary.
Note: Choosing to “Add to my drive” will still reference the file’s original location and owner and will NOT duplicate this file.
Move your HaverApps Data to Your Personal EMail
Enable POP for your HaverApps account:
- Log into your HaverApps Gmail account
- Click the “Gear” icon in the upper right-hand corner
- Click the link for “Forwarding and POP/IMAP”
- In the POP Download section, click the radio button next to “Enable POP for All Mail”
- Set “When Messages are Accessed with POP” to “Keep Haverford College Mail’s copy in the Inbox”
- Click “Save Changes”
- Enable less-secure Apps for that account.
- Then go here: https://accounts.google.com/b/0/DisplayUnlockCaptcha
- Close your web browser.
Migrate your Mail
- Log in to your personal Gmail account, Click the “gear icon” in the upper right-hand corner and select “mail settings”
- Click the link for “Accounts and Imports”
- In the Check mail using POP3 setting select “Add POP3 email account”
- In the popup window enter your full HaverApps email account, In the next popup window enter the following.
Username: [your FULL HaverApps email address]
Password: [your HaverApps email password]
POP Server: pop.gmail.com
Port: 995 (should be the default)
- Select: Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail.
- Do NOT select to “Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server”
- If you want to have your incoming HaverApps email labeled and achieved upon arrival you can also select the last two options.
- Click “Save Changes”
Update your Subscriptions and External Account Information
Over the years it’s common to join mailing lists, subscribe to regular emails, and link many external accounts (banking, social media, etc.) to your Haverford email. Spend a few minutes noting the subscriptions and contact information on the accounts you value and be sure to update those with your new email address.
Set an Away Message on Your haverford.edu EMail Account
HaverApps provides users with the ability to set an automatic response. We recommend that you create an autoresponse letting anyone who writes to you know that your contact information has changed. When signed in to HaverApps, click Settings and then scroll down to the “Vacation Responder” section. For more detailed instructions, please see Google’s instructions on setting an automatic response.
Note: Automatic replies will no longer be sent after your account is disabled.
Backup Your storage.haverford.edu Data
If you’ve been using storage.haverford.edu to hold files, be sure to log in and save a copy of the files you may want to keep to your personal computer. We also suggest you make a backup of these files to a USB drive or to a personal cloud storage account for safe, long-term storage.